It describes the set of practices perceived by a community to be linked to the preservation of health and healthy living. It’s the branch of science that deals with the preservation and promotion of health. In everyday life settings, hygiene practices are used as preventative measures to reduce the incidence and spreading of disease.
The conditions cleanliness (or cleaning) and hygiene are often used interchangeably, which may lead to confusion. Generally speaking, hygiene mostly means practices that prevent spread of disease-causing organisms. Since cleaning procedures (e.g., hand washing) eliminate infectious microbes in addition to dirt and dirt, they are frequently the ability to attain hygiene. Other uses of this term appear in phrases such as: body hygiene, personal hygiene, sleep hygiene, mental hygiene, dental hygiene, and occupational hygiene, used in connection with public health.
Home hygiene pertains to the hygiene practices that prevent or minimize illness and the spreading of disease at home (nationally ) and in everyday life settings like social settings, public transportation, the work place, public places etc..
Hygiene in house and everyday life settings has a significant role in preventing spread of infectious diseases. It has procedures used in an assortment of domestic situations like hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene, water and food hygiene, general house hygiene (hygiene of environmental sites and surfaces)care for domestic animals, and home healthcare (care for people that are at greater risk of disease ).
Body hygiene pertains to hygiene practices performed by someone to care for one’s physiological health and well-being, through cleanliness. Motivations for personal hygiene clinic include reduction of personal illness, recovery from personal illness, optimum health and awareness of well-being, social acceptance and prevention of spread of illness to other people.
Personal hygiene practices include: visiting a physician, visiting a dentist, routine washing/bathing, and healthy eating. Personal grooming expands personal hygiene when it comes to the maintenance of a excellent personal and public appearance, which need not be sterile.
Body hygiene is accomplished by utilizing personal body hygiene products such as: soap, hair shampoo, toothbrushes, tooth paste, cotton swabs, antiperspirant, facial tissue, mouthwash, nail files, skin cleansers, toilet paper, and other similar products.
The practice of personal hygiene has a lot of benefits. Some of the benefits are discussed below:
• It prolongs one’s lifespan:
Since the practice of personal hygiene suppress the spread of infectious diseases, it increases the amount of years that one spends on this ground. Bad hygiene shortens one’s life.
• To prevent intermittent illness:
The practice of personal hygiene enables the person to prevent intermittent sicknesses which is illness that if cured starts again within brief periods or in irregular intervals. This has a wonderful toll on the finances of the person on account of the sudden paying hospital bills.
• Increase in productivity:
When all the employees in a company maintain personal hygiene, it assists in raising the overall productivity of the business. This is particularly true in industries where specialization of work is used. Factions of work have been slowed down or even halted because of the illness of a specialized employee. It ends in failure to meet deadlines and this is extremely injurious to the success of any business.
• It increases one’s respect and personal self:
A person who maintains personal hygiene earns respect wherever he or she finds himself or herself. It helps him to obtain association and friendship because of the fact that everyone always wants to be with clean people with great smell and breath.
• Progress in domestic life expectancy ratio:
If members of this nation endeavour to keep good personal hygiene, the national life expectancy ratio will be improved or improved. This would reduce the whole death rate in the country ensuring national development.
There are various methods of ensuring personal hygiene.
• Body cleansing – The entire body should be kept very clean. This may be accomplished by regular bathing at least once every day. Additionally, long nails should be cut or eliminated since they home pathogens that cause diseases. It’s suggested to use local body lotions like Shea-butter that nourishes the skin and keep it dry and healthy. Gradually the uterus and the ears must be cleaned because its hairs trap dust which could be hazardous to your health.
• Hair care – The hair should not be left to grow particularly for the men. It needs to be often cut down. If the person wants to wear long hair then it needs to be kept clean and tidy. It may be tied or coated nicely when working or attending to other important responsibilities in the business. Local hair formulas can be applied on the hair to keep it in great shape.
• Internal cleansing – enema (colon irrigation): It helps the body to flush out inner waste and keep the blood clean.
• Laundry/ Washing of clothes – This prevents or reduces disease and the spreading of disease through soiled clothing and household linens such as towels. Items most likely to be infected with pathogens are the ones which come into direct contact with the body, e.g., panties, personal towels, facecloths, nappies should be thoroughly cleansed and dried before they are used.
• Cleaning of toilets and hand wash facilities – This is essential since it helps the person in preventing odors and leaves their socially acceptable.